Wednesday, October 26, 2005

EXTREMIST ATTACK

I had seen this story on indymedia yesterday but was unable to find any other reference to it so I didn't post it. However, today in Kathimerini Police in Athens yesterday arrested a 23-year-old man believed to have stabbed two students last Wednesday in Monastiraki. The man, allegedly a member of a far-right group, is thought to have attacked the students, aged 19 and 23, because one of them had an anti-fascist symbol on his T-shirt. I haven't been able to find much information on this attack but apparently one of the victims is in critical condition.

:
At 10/27/2005 11:00:00 PM, Blogger The SeaWitch said...

Have you ever noticed Diva, that murders, stabbings, beatings, and rapes always end up in the "In Brief" section of Kathimerini instead of front page? I guess expired pasta warrants (that actually did appear on the online front page yesterday) more coverage than a murdered girl and 2 stabbing victims.

 
At 10/27/2005 11:16:00 PM, Blogger deviousdiva said...

Yes, I certainly have and I will try and investigate.

I think it was ellasdevil who questioned the rather dubious editorial policy of Kathimerini and I agree but as one of few news sources here, in english, I am stuck. I have thought of trying to hook up with another blogger to do a mirror site in Greek. The logistics of this are difficult and complicated but I am interested.

With this current story I have not managed to glean much from the engish language news. If anyone finds out more on this or any story on this blog, do not hesitate to post.

 
At 10/31/2005 02:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,
im from athens greece id like to inform that in athens we have a serious problem with a group of fascists that have committed about 20 stabbings since last year.our squats also get frequently attacked by the same poeple(with protection of the riot police,of course).to be honest i dont give a f**k what kathimerini news paper says. one of the stabbed people is still in a coma and he is in critical situation(he was stabbed 23 times.
no pity to the fascists

 
At 10/31/2005 02:51:00 PM, Blogger deviousdiva said...

Anonymous, Thank you for responding. I had read a two line snippet on this recent attack. I have tried to follow it up and have found nothing in the press. I know the problem with these violent facists is worse than is reported. If you have more details on the attacks (dates, names, anything) this year, please send them and I will update this post again. Thank you very much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home