Wednesday, September 21, 2005

DANGEROUS ROUTES UPDATE

As Thanos quite rightly says in his comment Greece is clearing mines. However... Read this BBC article from May 2005 And this from the Independent Race and Refugee News Network 2005 "as we all know from press reports, accidents keep occurring - people keep dying and being injured on the Evros minefields. It is estimated that over sixty people have been killed and around the same number seriously wounded since 1999. Although Greece has been mostly in compliance with the Ottawa Treaty, there has been very little focus on one section, Article 6, paragraph 3: 'Each State Party in a position to do so shall provide assistance for the care and rehabilitation and social and economic reintegration of mine victims..."

Technorati Tags: ,

:
At 9/21/2005 09:41:00 PM, Blogger melusina said...

This is a tough issue. I do know that Greece is working at removing the mines because I read not too long ago of a Greek soldier dying in the process. I have mixed feelings in that regard - as my husband works for the Greek army (even though as a doctor I'd doubt he would have to go minesweeping) I would just as soon he didn't go remove mines, personally.

People put their lives at risk every day, sweeping these minefields. I have a friend in the U.S. Army who was sweeping a field in Afghanistan, he lost his leg, and 2 years later his life still isn't back to normal.

As far as providing care for refugees who are injured, well obviously I think that should be done. But as to the final decision to grant asylum or not, I don't know. There are rules about asylum seeking that I am not familiar with, so I won't even pretend to have an opinion there. Still, like Guma in the BBC article, some sort of amends must be made in order to give him some sort of national identity (as he doesn't have a passport).

Of course, my ultimate dream is to have a world where noone has to escape a country for any reason, but obviously we aren't anywhere near that yet.

 
At 9/23/2005 10:18:00 PM, Blogger deviousdiva said...

Thanks for pointing that out. I will check it out. What with all the tweaking and updating on the blog it’s easy to overlook things.

 
At 9/23/2005 11:40:00 PM, Blogger deviousdiva said...

Follow this link and paste in your sidebar
COMMENTS IN SIDEBAR

 

Post a Comment

<< Home