Monday, June 27, 2005

HOT-HEADED AND STUBBORN

I wrote a whole piece today and accidently quit Safari and lost the whole thing. Anyway, I will try and re-create some of it. I have no intention of using this weblog simply to have a go at Greece for it's rather appalling record in addressing Racism and Xenophobia. I am also not denying the problems are rampant all over the world. My aim is to try and make people aware that there is a problem here in the first place. No ordinary, decent person likes to be accused of racism. I am acutely aware of how difficult it is for some to even recognise feelings of xenophobia, let alone to admit one's own guilt. In my numerous discussions and arguments with people on the subject, I admit, I am often angry, heavy-handed, hot headed and stubborn. My feelings often spill over and people get switch off. I have been accused of going on about it too much. I make no apologies for who I am and what I believe in. I simply want, at the very least, to start a dialogue There are sometimes too many issues and the lines of argument often get blurred, but to me that's better than silence. When people's feelings come into the argument it can be difficult and painful. For both sides. But I believe it is necessary. All I ask is that people will take the time to find out more, to educate themselves on the issues and to remain open minded.

:
At 6/27/2005 11:35:00 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Hi there! Your perspective on racism and xenophobia in Greece is interesting. I suppose I haven't been exposed to as much, for one I've only lived here 3 years, and we've moved around a lot (from Athens to Kos to Litochoro) so it is very hard to make a study of the society you live in when you don't live there very long. I have recognized the Albanian treatment, I call them the Mexicans of Greece, to give my American friends a comparison. The situation is very much the same. Overall, I don't see racism as strong here as it is in America, but then again, America is HUGE country with a lot of problems.
At any rate, it is quite refreshing to read your posts and I'll count on your blog to keep me up to date on racism in Greece!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home