Tuesday, December 13, 2005

COMPLAINING EXPATS

A letter printed in Cyprus Tales not written by me or any of my friends. "To complain about racism and human rights in this country may touch a raw nerve; nevertheless, Cyprus, in general, is a very racist country and treats immigrants extremely badly, especially if they have a different colour skin. There is little or no protection from the police and immigration bullies, when they pull someone off the streets because he has a dark skin. Am I a ‘whingeing Brit’ or have I just stated what is obvious to many people, who choose to turn a blind eye or are too apathetic to want to say anything? And, of course, the immigrants themselves, are very scared - I now this for a fact." Read the whole letter here

Technorati Tags: , ,

:
At 12/13/2005 02:52:00 PM, Blogger deviousdiva said...

Another highly original and intelligent comment from guess who? Oh, it's anonymous again. Welcome back. I was thinking, you must be so busy commenting all over the blog world with your insightful opinions, that you wouldn't be able to find the time to come back over here. Maybe, I should feel honoured?

 
At 12/13/2005 09:21:00 PM, Blogger The SeaWitch said...

Anonymous...I suggest you read my blog
as a response to your thoughtless post. But if that's too difficult for you, I'll summarize our justification for complaining about Greece.

The Greek government has no problem taking the taxes we pay. Greeks have no problem taking our money when we shop in their stores. Greeks have no problem depositing our rent cheques. The Greeks who work in my stores have no problem taking their wages from me. So Greeks should have no problem taking our complaints either.

 
At 12/13/2005 09:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seawitch, You go girl! And those young Greek men have no problem taking... (well, ahem).

And I'm saying this as a Gay Man and a Gay Journalist as I'm heading out again to Myconos again with the Posse.

 
At 12/17/2005 05:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they shooting immigrants like in Britain? Rioting against them like in Austrialia? No.

What ever problem Cyrus has. it isn't a fraction of of the racism in the U.K., France, Australia -- you name it.

 
At 12/17/2005 06:59:00 PM, Blogger deviousdiva said...

I am sure you are right that the racism in Cyprus is a fraction of what it is in the Britain and elsewhere. But anti-immigrant sentiment is on the rise and perhaps, it is better to address the issues before they escalate into the ugly violent scenes we see elsewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home