Tuesday, December 06, 2005

STOPNOW UPDATE

Last month I posted a link to STOPNOW, a project managed by the Centre of Research and Action on Peace (KEDE), set up to confront and combat human trafficking. Please go and read the FAQ's here. The organization has been successful in working raising awareness of human trafficking, working with the victims and trying to prevent more people being trapped in this modern-day slavery. I found out today from people working in this project that STOPNOW is no longer operational. Why? Because the government of Nea Dimokratia (New Democracy) refuses to fund it. Why? Because the government does not acknowledge that there are trafficked people in Greece. Why? Because the shelters that were set up to help the victims of trafficking are empty. Why? Because the people who are "rescued" from their captors are being held in detention centres instead of being taken to the shelters. They are held there (without access to the proper help they need) until they are deported . Many of the victims of this hideous exploitation have their bail posted BY THEIR CAPTORS and they are taken back into slavery. As soon as I get any information on what action can be taken to help this vital project, I will post it.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

:
At 12/07/2005 07:11:00 PM, Blogger The SeaWitch said...

Shameful. Nothing short of shameful. Greece knows full well its status as a Tier 3 country according to the US State Department. It was estimated back in 2002 that as many as 18,000 people were trafficked to Greece. And now they SHUT DOWN the only place in this country where they can get assistance??? Disgraceful. What more can I say? I blogged this whole issue last December and considering this latest development, now I know why that post got 0 comments...apathy--the same reason the shelter closed.

I wonder if the shelter didn't rely on government funding if they could keep it open? If it's a matter of fundraising, I'd like to get involved by not only donating some money but to have donation boxes placed in our stores to see if anyone else is concerned enough to keep the shelter open. Please keep us posted Diva if you hear of an organized effort and what can be done. I'll certainly let you know if I find out anything.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

 
At 12/07/2005 09:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to clarify - a STOP NOW shelter has not been shut down because of lack of funding - actually STOP NOW dosn't have a shelter. The organisation worked on raising public awareness about trafficking, lobbying for a law to be passed, pushing for victim support and also importantly coordinated all organisations in Greece working on counter-trafficking. Also it worked with Bulgaria, Albania, Georgia, Moldova etc to raise awareness so that women would be aware of the pitfalls of pormised-land jobs before they make the trip to Greece. It is all of this that cannot be continued without funds.

 
At 12/10/2005 12:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why? Because the government does not acknowledge that there are trafficked people in Greece.

what a silly statement. Just more ugly american type stuff of blurting out whatever without any research. There are dozens of stories just looking on google of the Greek government workign witht he EU, and not just participating in adressing the issue but being among initiators of efforts in burssuels to get a large scale response to this.

I wonder hwo much travel you have done int he Blakans? or how much reading you do?

According to WESTERN journalists in the Balkans:

a) it is Albanian gangs that control the majority of th human trafficking.

b)It is UN and NATO forces that do all the great majority of CONSUMPTION.

Ever been to Africa? the single biggest factor in human trafficking theri is the UN. Whereever BLUE HELMETS go, trafficking in very young women seems to become an epidemic.

Greece is surrounded by countries all "tier 2", all involved, and all POORER.

Greece is the EU country which has the longest border with none EU countries. that border is very difficult to control/ Greece has been asking for assistance on this for years, and citing concerns over human trafficing, narcotics trafficing etc for decades.

 
At 12/10/2005 02:08:00 PM, Blogger deviousdiva said...

Anonymous, I found it quite difficult to understand what you were getting at with this comment. I think you should check your spelling? From what I did understand, I will try to answer your questions.

One: I am not American and the post was NOT a google search.

Two: I have not travelled much in the Balkans but I am interested to hear from those who do.

Three: I read a lot actually. A lot more than most people do.

Four: Yes, I have been to Africa. I was not exposed to the "blue helmets" trafficking young women so I cannot comment on that. I would like to know where you got your information?

I completely understand and sympathise with the fact that Greece "has the longest border with none EU countries. that border is very difficult to control"

"Greece has been asking for assistance on this for years, and citing concerns over human trafficing, narcotics trafficing etc for decades"
Yes, I agree. However, there has to be some solutions not just excuses? STOPNOW were doing just that. Finding solutions.

I am open to discuss the opinions of people I disagree with BUT I would rather discuss issues with people with names. The anonymous thing drives me nuts. Give yourself a name. It makes following a discussion much easier.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home