Wednesday, January 11, 2006

PHOTOGRAPHY

I've always had a special love of photography so thank you to Flubberwinkle for this link. A  site by Nikos Chrisiakis. Check out the reportage section especially the Muslim Women of Elefsina and Immigrants of Athens. A warm and very human approach to photographing people.

Technorati Tags: ,

:
At 1/12/2006 12:44:00 AM, Blogger The dehydrated corpse of Marcus Tal said...

As you are too scared to visit the blog of myself and my clone brother I thought I would visit yours.

First I would be honoured to present you with some fine brandy and Jacob's crackers - special oregano flavour.

May I say what a nice blog you have here. If you swept up a few of these piles of skulls and put up a few Laura Ashley wall hangings you could almost believe that Dr David Owen lived here.

I will read your archive of cogent points with some interest.

 
At 1/12/2006 02:13:00 AM, Blogger scarfalonius said...

Eh? Is that..is that...DOUGLAS?!!! Diva, you are a woman of varied tastes!

 
At 1/12/2006 03:59:00 AM, Blogger EllasDevil said...

I was quite taken aback by the Adolescent Weddings section that happenes in Thraki. My God...

 
At 1/12/2006 02:20:00 PM, Blogger scarfalonius said...

Nice pictures, but I'm not sure where this the photographer is coming from.

Like most people, I don't know all that much about the Muslims of Thraki, but what does it mean to call them a 'so-called Muslim minority'? Is he referring to the traditional Greek government policy of drawing no distinction between ethnic Turks, ethnic Pomaks and ethnic Roma? Is it a reference to the official use of the term 'Muslim' to avoid saying 'Turk'? Or...what?

Greeks I know who work in Thraki say that successive Greek governments have enforced a policy that puts all the Muslims there in the same box, which has had the effect not only of strengthening Islamic religious influence in civic life, but also of 'Turkifying' the entire Muslim population. The Roma and Pomaks have had no choice but to align themselves with the ethnic Turks, who watch Turkish TV and listen to Turkish radio; their children receive an inferior education in a highly Greek-nationalistic curriculum, taught by teachers who have no idea how to teach Greek as a second language, and who don't know the first thing about Islam, Turkey, Rom or Pomak. The system seems built to perpetuate ignorance and stereotype. (Although there are small steps being made to change things - not through any initiative of this Greek government, of course.)

No wonder traditional customs are so strong up there. I've also heard rumours that there really is something going on in Thraki that's forcing many Muslim families to move to Athens. Whether it's a clumsy attempt to integrate them, or just to get them away from the Turkish border, or just a total lack of economic opportunity, I don't think anyone knows. I don't even know if this migration is real or not. But these people weren't here in Attiki a few years ago, and now they are.

I also think it's inaccurate and provocative to say that sharia law dominates the lives of the people in Thraki. From what I understand, Thraki Muslims are allowed to run their own affairs to a *certain* extent - some people call this a policy of not-so-benign neglect - and yes, so-called 'traditional' customs are followed by a significant section of the poorest people in Thraki, quite often under the guidance of Muslim clerics. But again, this system of governance was established by the Greek state! The Mufti of Thraki is appointed by the government of Greece. It's just not fair to imply that the situation is entirely the choice of the Thraki Muslims, or to sound an alarm bell of Islamofascism in northern Greece.

None of this is to say that it's all right for 13-year-old girls to be shoved into arranged marriages. It's not all right. But you can guess what I'm going to say next: it wasn't so long ago that many Greek Orthodox village girls had the same thing happen to them. The ONLY reason this practice has pretty much died out is that Greece has become more integrated into Western Europe. It is not nearly as isolated as it once was. If we want the practice to end in Thraki as well, the state has to start re-thinking the system that isolates the people there. It's not enough to point to the exotic Muslims and comment on their barbaric customs.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a polemic. I really did like the pictures. It's good this guy is taking pictures of things most Greeks never see.

 
At 1/12/2006 02:32:00 PM, Blogger deviousdiva said...

Thank you scarfalonius for your insights. I also know next to nothing about Thraki.
I agree his commentary is rather clumsily written. I actually prefer my photography without comments. The pictures speak for themselves.
Hi the dehydrated corpse of marcus tal and cloned brother, thank you for visiting. I was only joking that I was scared to visit you. hold back on the Laura Ashley though, my worst nightmare.
Hello to you ellasdevil. Yes, it is quite shocking.

 
At 1/12/2006 08:09:00 PM, Anonymous Eff said...

I hope you don't mind my mentioning, but in my old blog one of the links there is to a blogger (a Canadian now living in the US) who is into photography and puts some of her work in there. It's not Greek, but might be worth a look. It's called Maquinna's Poop du Jour.

 
At 1/12/2006 10:43:00 PM, Blogger deviousdiva said...

Thanks for the link eff. I chose Nikos Chrisiakis because of the relevence to my blog. In some direct or indirect way? However, appreciate the input, as always. Go check it out people... always looking and this is inspiration.

 
At 1/13/2006 08:08:00 AM, Blogger Renegade Eye said...

I found this blog surfing.

Good fine and commercial art.


Regards.

 
At 1/13/2006 06:06:00 PM, Anonymous Eff said...

Sure

 

Post a Comment

<< Home