Wednesday, June 29, 2005

SWEAR ON THE BIBLE

A great friend of mine became a Greek citizen recently. After years of headache and heartache, he went to swear his pledge of allegiance. He is Muslim but, surprise surprise, he was sworn in using the Bible. Now correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was now unnecessary in Europe to swear on the Bible if you were of another faith? But then, what did I expect, this is the only European capital that has no state-recognised mosque for it's approximately 100,000 Muslim citizens living in the Athens area. The first and probably only one is being built will be situated some 20km OUTSIDE OF ATHENS! Daily prayers? I think not. Here is a very interesting article discussing sensitivity around the taking of oaths in court from Baha’is to Zoroastrians

:

Post a Comment

<< Home