Tuesday, January 17, 2006

SISTERS

I post a lot less personal writing here than I used too. The rudeness and quite frankly, (yes, I know, I'm going to get blasted for this) racist content of some of the comments got to me. Personally. So I took a very big step away from it all. However, today I read this article that got me thinking again, about the reasons why I am doing this in the first place. Discussion. Dialogue. Debate. I stated this in my very first post and that is what I still hope to acheive. I went to meet a friend today and as we talked about this whole thing I realised that, although I was threatened by those people, I am more scared that I might have been silenced. The article is called "Finding words to talk about Race" and let's face it, we have to. If we can't talk about these delicate issues than what are we going to do? Ignore it? Hope it will go away? So I am going to post this song/poem I wrote awhile ago as a first step to getting back to my own voice. The relevance of this piece is that I wrote it for my sisters. (Two are white and one black: Make up your own story here). I believe it relates to this blog. SISTERS Ours is a hard and complicated love Indifferent and painful love No blood ties That keep us together Chances and misfortune brought us Bind us Blind and unspoken We shared beds and tears Growing up and going away And growing old All that is unsaid Lurks around us We smooth each other Rub away the sharp edges In case we cut ourselves And bleed to death We mop up each others tears In case we drown Sisters of our history Not under the skin The only way we know how And I love you more than is possible Just because I do

Technorati Tags: ,

:
At 1/17/2006 11:02:00 PM, Blogger deviousdiva said...

I cannot even begin to tell you what these words and the thoughts of others mean to me. Thank you.

 
At 1/17/2006 11:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Well written and moving.

Continue to fight evil.

Though we might not agree on all moral aspects, I do not see how we could ever disagree that racism, in its inarguable forms is both irrational and, most of all, abhorrent.

 
At 1/18/2006 01:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ZARDOZ SAYS:

Sorry cant say much about your poetry

only the story told thru it .

I identified with the link of maria-luisa and her story though.
thanks

----------zardoz

 
At 1/18/2006 06:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful poem - I felt so moved when I read it. Keep your voice strong.

 
At 1/18/2006 06:39:00 PM, Blogger deviousdiva said...

Thank you very much eff and anonymous for you compliments.
Hi Zardoz, I'm glad you found the link as interesting as I did.

 
At 1/19/2006 04:27:00 AM, Blogger laspapi said...

hello diva,
your writings set me thinking as usual. Don't let the rabble cage your spirit, doesn't your banner give the definition of how evil persists?
You mustn't forget the world has its share of base people and they are usually afraid of what they do not understand.
I liked your poem, "Sisters", and I like you too. You're always ahead of those who snipe at you.

 
At 1/19/2006 02:39:00 PM, Blogger deviousdiva said...

Thank you so much, wole oguntokun. I think it is so important that those of us that are trying to do something positive in the world, however small, support each other and encourage each other. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home